THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
School ofOrganisation and Management
MGMT 1001 FUNDAMENTALS OF MANAGEMENT
EXAMINATION SESSION 1, 2007
Value: 40% of total marks
Part A and Part B are of equal value
Time allowed: TWO HOURS
Part B requires essay responses to TWO questions.
ANSWERS MUST BE WRITTEN IN AN EXAMINATION BOOK
ANSWERS MUST BE WRITTEN IN INK. EXCEPT WHERE THEY ARE EXPRESSLY REQUIRED, PENCILS MAY BE USED ONLY FOR DRAWING, SKETCHING OR GRAPHICAL WORK
Part A requires candidate to answer four (4) questions. NO MORE THAN ONE AND A HALF PAGES ON EACH
Page 1 of3
Write no more than one and half pages on EACH of FOUR of the following questions.
1. What are the environmental factors that influence the management of organisations? 2. What are the major forces that influence average industry profitability? 3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of related and unrelated diversification strategies? 4. What generic business level strategies that firms should follow during the four stages of a product life cycle? 5. Explain how firms can use the BCG model for corporate level strategic planning? 6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of 'offshoring' for companies pursuing an international strategy? 7. It is possible to define quality precisely? What are said to be the dimensions of quality? 8. Explain the differences between transactional and a transformational leaders?
Answer TWO of the following in essay form.
1. 'Classical management is the enduring form of management despite the
2. 'Ethical practice in organisations is good business.' Discuss.
4. 'Conflict is normal in the workplace. Managers need to learn to manage it rather than blame employees.' Discuss.
3. 'Great leaders are born not made'. Discuss this statement in the light of traits and situational theories of leadership?
temporary popularity of other management...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document