* Entails analyses at two different times during the history of a product
* The methods engineer is responsible for designing and developing the various work centers where the product will be produced
* That engineer must continually restudy the work centers to find a better way to produce the product and improve its quality
Methods Engineering Procedure
* Select the project
* Gather and present the data
* Analyze the data
* Develop the ideal method
* Present and install the method
* Develop a job analysis
* Establish time standards
* Follow up the method
* As part of developing or maintaining the new method, the principles of work design must be used to fit the task and workstation ergonomically to the human operator.
* Standards are the end result of time study or work measurement.
* This technique establishes a time standard allowed to perform a given task, based on the measurements of work content of the prescribed method, with due consideration for fatigue and for personal and unavoidable delays.
Techniques used by time analysts
* Stopwatch time study
* Computerized data collection,
* standard data,
* predetermined time systems,
* work sampling and
* estimates based on historical data
* Pareto analysis
* Fish diagrams
* Gantt chart
* PERT charting
* Job/worksite analysis guide
* Named after Vilfredo Pareto -an Italian economist
* Items identified and ordered on common scale in decreasing frequency, creating a cumulative distribution
* Cause-and-effect diagrams
* Identified problem or undesirable result is the “head”
* Contributing factors are the “bones”
* Typical categories include: Human, machine, methods, materials, environment, and administrative... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). Methods, Standards, and Work Design: Introduction. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Methods-Standards-And-Work-Design-Introduction-1346257.html
"Methods, Standards, and Work Design: Introduction" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Methods-Standards-And-Work-Design-Introduction-1346257.html>.
- MLA 7
"Methods, Standards, and Work Design: Introduction." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2013. Web. 01 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Methods-Standards-And-Work-Design-Introduction-1346257.html>.
"Methods, Standards, and Work Design: Introduction." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Methods-Standards-And-Work-Design-Introduction-1346257.html.