Encircle the letter of your choice. No erasures.
1. The nurse is performing her admission assessment of a patient. When grading arterial pulses, a 1+ pulse indicates:
a. Above normal perfusion.
b. Absent perfusion.
c. Normal perfusion.
d. Diminished perfusion.
2. Murmurs that indicate heart disease are often accompanied by other symptoms such as:
a. Dyspnea on exertion.
b. Subcutaneous emphysema.
c. Thoracic petechiae.
d. Periorbital edema.
3. Which pregnancy-related physiologic change would place the patient with a history of cardiac disease at the greatest risk of developing severe cardiac problems?
a. Decrease heart rate
b. Decreased cardiac output
c. Increased plasma volume
d. Increased blood pressure
4. The priority nursing diagnosis for the patient with cardiomyopathy is:
a. Anxiety related to risk of declining health status.
b. Ineffective individual coping related to fear of debilitating illness
c. Fluid volume excess related to altered compensatory mechanisms.
d. Decreased cardiac output related to reduced myocardial contractility.
5. A patient with thrombophlebitis reached her expected outcomes of care. Her affected leg appears pink and warm. Her pedal pulse is palpable and there is no edema present. Which step in the nursing process is described above?
6. An elderly patient may have sustained a basilar skull fracture after slipping and falling on an icy sidewalk. The nurse knows that basilar skull factures:
a. Are the least significant type of skull fracture.
b. May have cause cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks from the nose or ears.
c. Have no characteristic findings.
d. Are always surgically repaired.
7. Which of the following types of drugs might be given to control increased intracranial pressure (ICP)?
b. Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
d. Histamine receptor blockers
8. The nurse is... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 04). Medical Surgical. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Medical-Surgical-663569.html
"Medical Surgical" StudyMode.com. 04 2011. 04 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Medical-Surgical-663569.html>.
"Medical Surgical." StudyMode.com. 04, 2011. Accessed 04, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Medical-Surgical-663569.html.