How do we know?
* Somatically – things we know through direct sensory perception of our environment * Look, smell, feel, sound or taste
* Symbolically – things we know through someone or something * Parent, friend, teacher, museum, textbook, photograph, radio, film, television or internet * This type of information comes to use from an indirect channel or medium Who are the Mass Media?
* Mass media – communication technologies that have the potential to reach a large audience in remote locations * Print Media –first mass medium
* Printed materials
* 19th – 20th centuries, newspaper industry experienced explosive growth * Motion Picture and Sound Recording
* Thomas Edison invented:
* Phonograph – recorded sound
* Kinetoscope – showed short, silent films to individual viewers * Broadcast Media – media brought to you directly over public airwaves * Radio
* New Media – are the cultural objects which use digital computer technology for distribution and circulation * The development of digital television, film, photography, e-books are part of new media * Internet, websites, online computer games and mobile companies. Living in PostModernity
* Convergence – the tendency of formerly diverse media to share a common, integrated platform. * Two obstacles before media convergence became a reality * Noise associated with analog signals
* Bandwidth limitations prevented large data packets * Mobility
* Historically, mass media have not been very mobile
* Media can come to or go with us anywhere
* Media are being transformed from home appliances into personal accessories
* Dramatic increase in media channels and a fragmentation of output that caters to the increasing diversity of the consuming public * Internet is the...