What is management?
* The art of getting things done through & with people in formally organized groups – Koontz
* Is the art of knowing what you want to do and then seeing that it is done in the best way – Taylor
* Is the process involving planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling human effort to achieve stated objectives in an organization.
What is Media Management?
While management is a process in which individuals work with & through other people to accomplish org objectives, Media Managements is a dynamic evolving process a 24 X 7 X 365 job.
Process is a series of actions or events marked by change.
6Ms of Management
Management as Art and Science
* Features of art:
1. Personal skill
2. Practical knowledge
3. Regular practice
* Features of science:
1. Systematized body of knowledge
2. Continued observation
3. Universal application
4. Cause & effect relationship
5. Validity & predictability
The process of Management/ Management Functions
Levels of Management
Management Thoughts/ Theories
Classical School of Management
Onset of Industrial Revolution.
Focused increased productivity among workers.
3 approaches under this school of management are -
* Scientific Management
* Administrative Management
* Bureaucratic Management
Father of scientific Management – Frederic W Taylor. Worked in Midvale steel company and then became a supervisor. His observations:
* Improper use of industrial resources
* Managed by rule of thumb
* No systematic way to find nature of work & best way of doing it * No division of responsibility between management & worker * Systematic soldiering from the workers.
To enhance productivity FW Taylor stressed on:
* Science not rule of thumb
* Harmony not discord
* Cooperation not individualism
* Max output instead of restricted output
* Development of each man to his greatest efficiency and prosperity.
Principles of Scientific Management
* Scientific administration of task
* Separation of planning and doing
* Standardisation of materials, tools & equipments
* Scientific selection & training
* Job analysis
* Financial incentives
* Mental revolution (conflict to cooperation)
Scientific Management is concerned with knowing exactly what you want men to do and then see in that they do it in the best and cheapest way.
Administrative /Operational Management
Father of modern operational management – Henry Fayol French Industrialist * Studied the organization the point of view of top management. * Studied the organization on POC^3.
* Used Administration instead of Management.
Approach of studying Management was divided to 3 parts
14 principles of management
* Division of work
* Authority &responsibility
* Unity of command
* Unity of direction
* Remuneration of personnel
* Scalar chain
* Stability of tenure of personnel
* Subordination of individual interest to general interest * Esprit de corps
This approach attempts to overcome managerial problem in a systematic way, emphasizes management actions can be effective if based on sound principles, emphasizes managerial qualities are acquirable and acquired through training.
This approach was postulated by Max Webber, a German sociologist. Is an administrative system designed to accomplish large-scale administrative task by systematically coordinating the work of many individuals. Webber observed 3 types of power in an organization:
* Rational (legal or bureaucratic)