|DIRECTORATE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION |
M.B.A. FIRST Year
ACADEMIC YEAR 2011 - 2012
THIS BOOKLET CONTAINS ASSIGNMENT TOPICS. STUDENTS ARE ASKED TO WRITE THE ASSIGNMENTS FOR EIGHT PAPERS AS PER INSTRUCTIONS. Last date for submission: 28-02-2012
Last date for submission : 15-03-2012
with late fee ` 300/-
1. Assignments sent after 15-03-2012 will not be evaluated. 2. Assignments should be in the own handwriting of the student concerned and not type-written or printed or photocopied. 3. Assignments should be written on foolscap paper on one side only. 4. All assignments (with Enrolment number marked on the Top right hand corner on all pages) should be put in an envelop with superscription “MBA Assignments” and sent to The Director, Directorate of Distance Education, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar – 608 002 by Registered post. P.T.O.
5. No notice will be taken on assignments which are not properly filled in with Enrolment Number and the Title of the papers. 6. Students should send full set of assignments for all papers. Partial assignments will not be considered.
Write assignments on any TWO topics in each paper out of the FOUR. For each Topic the answer should not exceed 15 – pages. Each assignment carries 25 marks. (2 topics)
Dr. S. B. NAGESWARA RAO
1.1 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
1. Critically evaluate the contributions of management experts and also discuss their suitability in today’s business environment. 2. “Decentralization is the best option for top management, as centralization leads to power center and delays the decision making” – How will you react to this statement? Justify your stand. 3. Analyse the leadership style of any real life business leader. Does it fit into any leadership theory? What do you think has made him or her, an effective leader? Support your answer with relevant cases. 4. What is MBO? Why it is significant in management process? Can a manager be successful without following MBO concept? Also compare MBO with MBE.
1.2 FINANCIAL AND MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING
1. (a) From the following Balance Sheet of a
company you are required to prepare a common
size Balance Sheet.
|Equity share capital |1,25,000 |Plant & Machinery |2,00,000 | |Preference Share Capital |50,000 |Furniture |12,140 | |Reserves |55,00 |Current Assets |1,69,500 | |Profit & Loss A/c |35,000 | | | |Current liabilities |1,16,640 | | | | |3,81,640 | |3,81,640 |
1. b) Raj Corporation Ltd., has prepared the following
budget estimates for the year 2000:
Fixed Expenses :Rs. 34,000
Sales value:Rs. 1,50,000
Variable costs :Rs. 6 per unit
You are required to :
i) Find the P/v ratio, Break– Even Point and margin
ii) Calculate the revised P/v ratio, Break– Even
Point and margin of safety in each of the
a. Decrease of 10% in selling price
b. Increase of 10% in variable costs
c. Increase of sales volume by 2,000 units
d. Increase of Rs. 6,000 in fixed costs.
2. a) The following data relate to a manufacturing
Plant capacity : 4,00,000 units per annum
Present utilization : 40%
Actual for the year 2000 were:
Selling Price : Rs. 50 per unit
Materials cost : Rs. 20 per unit
costs : Rs. 15 per unit
Fixed costs : Rs. 27 lakhs
In order to improve capacity...