Maxwell Boys' School

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 315
  • Published : September 19, 2010
Open Document
Text Preview
Maxwell School ( Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Maxwell ) is a semi-control for boys ( and female students in form 6 ) and the oldest school in the north of Kuala Lumpur as well as one of the oldest in Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia. A student of the school is known as a Maxwellian. Maxwell School is well known for its high achievement in education and other activities in secondary schools level. Maxwell School is famous for its form 6 and has always produced among the top STPM results in Kuala Lumpur.It is considered as one of the best schools in Kuala Lumpur for its form 6 education.

The History of the Maxwell School

Established in 1917, it opened its doors to 110 students and five teaching staff on 1 June 1922. During its pre-war days, it functioned as a feeder school (primary school) to the Victoria Institution. By 1933, the school was shut down to public due to the recession but was opened as a private school from 1934 to 1938. It was then given to the Trade School for their use. During the Japanese Occupation, it was used as a camp for the dreaded Japanese Kempeitai. After the war, the school was used as a hostel by the newly formed Technical College until 1953, when, in September, the school was re-opened as Malaya's first Modern Secondary School. Today, the Maxwell School is still housed in the same building and has remained a secondary school ever since.

School Headmasters and Headmistresses

1917 - 1918 War Period
1919 - 1922 Establishment Period
1922 - 1925 Montague B. Brockwell
1925 - 1928 C. N. Beamish
Aug 1928 Harold Ball
1928 - 1930 Agnes R. Cooke
1930 - 1930 M. Wheatley
1930 - 1933 C. W. Bloomfield
1933 - 1938 R. Thampipillay
1939 - 1941 Closed
1941 - 1945 War Period
1946 - 1953 Closed
1953 - 1954 William C. Cleine
1954 - 1956 Donald Priestley
1956 - 1957 Paul Chang
1957 - 1957 Razak Khan
1957 - 1961 Ong Choon Ghee
1961 - 1961 A. E. Navarasingam
1961 - 1968 Wong Ah Fatt
1968 - 1979 P. Nadarajah
1979 - 1988 Victor Wong
1988 - 1990 Abdul Razak Mohammed
1990 - 1999 Ismail Sajad
1999 - 2001 Han Seng Kuang
2001 - 2006 Loy Liang Dee
2006 - 2006 Azmah BT Rajion
2006 - 2007 Datin Khairiah Abd Majid
2007 - Prst Datin Zainab Bee Bte. Ismail
[edit] European Headmistresses

1922 - 1923 Annie Grenier
1923 - 1924 J. H. Dennett
1924 - 1926 Edith L. Earnshaw
1926 - 1927 D. A. Peck
1927 - 1928 Helen D. Leith
1928 - 1929 Agnes R. Cooke
1929 - 1933 Nellie F. Careless
[edit] School buildings

The school originally consists of two blocks, the present day main block and the gymnasium block, which is now the library. The design and features of the two blocks is typical of the colonial era structures bearing some similarities with the Malayan Railway station and Sultan Abdul Saman buildings, both with Moorish designs. The school consists of a two – storey structure which was later extended to a block of solid masonry construction with arched openings along the corridors, typical of many of the school buildings that were built that time. There is a veranda on both sides of each storey ( main block ), high ceilings and broad stairways which depict typical colonial architecture. The Maxwell School is one of the very few schools in the nation that has not shifted and has remained in the original site from the very beginning itself. While the modern-day Ministry of Education has added many rectangular-shaped blocks to the school, the distinctive "H" shape of the main block is still one of the more interesting features of Kuala Lumpur. The structures that make up the Institution itself is a heritage of the nation. [edit] School song

The school's first song was titled Disco Ut Serviam, written in 1954 by Mrs. A.V. Priestley, wife of the second post-war headmaster, Mr. Donald Priestly. The song was sung from 1954 until 1981.

Service, not wealth or fame,
From this our schools’ high aim,
May we ne’er swerve,
New boy and senior,
Prefect and monitor,
Eyes on the future, for learning we...
tracking img