A. Meaning of Love
* Love, as the song goes,
"a many splendored thing".
* Love is also a decision, and not just a feeling.
* Love means, "to think and will and do the good of another". * Love is the commitment, care and concern for the other. * Love is dynamic and a changing thing.
* Love is primarily giving and not receiving.
B. Elements of Love
4 Basic Elements
a. Care - shown by active concern for the life and growth of the one we love b. Responsibility - ability to respond to needs --expressed or unexpressed c. Respect - ability to see a person as he is, to be aware of his unique individuality d. Knowledge - active in-depth consciousness of another person's real image, leading to genuine communion
C. Mature Love
* Genuine Love is love that endures. It is love that is tested over and over again as time goes by. It is love that is able to overcome crises, difficulties, disappointments and serious problems. For marriage to work, this is the love that is required. We call this mature love.
D. Qualities of Mature Love
* Altruistic - lovers give affection, time and energy without considering what will be received in return * Freeing - one is allowed to be as he is, for better and for worse * Honest - allows lovers to know each other very well; LOVE FOR THE PERSON THAT MATTERS * Happy, Sad and Neutral - sometimes it is fun, at other times, tender, or marred by hurt or anger * Empathetic - means "feeling with" another and not sympathy which is feeling "poor you“ * Strengthening
In mature love, both people are growing together.
Lesson 6: Love of Friendship
* True Friendship is one of the greatest treasures that exist in this world; and one necessary requisite of marriage is genuine friendship between husband and wife. Marriage cannot last unless the parties are genuine friends. * Genuine friendship is something that does not happen overnight. It is developed through an...