Chapter 1: 4 MC, 4 TF
• PR differs from publicity, advertising, and propaganda.
• Definition of Public Relations – 1st class notes
o Public Relations is the management of communication with in an organization and its partners/publics.
• RACE – research, action, communication, evaluation
• RPIE- research, planning, implementation, evaluation.
Public Relations as Management Interpreter
• Leon Hess did not believe or have a public relations department but now it is necessary for businesses to have them.
• Must interpret the philosophies, policies, programs, and practices of their management to the public.
• They must convey the attitudes of the public to their management.
Public Relations as Public Interpreter
• Interpreting the public to management means finding out what the public really thinks about the firm and letting management know.
• Ralph Nader spread a rumor about GM that their car was “unsafe at any speed.”
• Mobil Oil bought the parent of the Montgomery Ward department store chain, the company was publicly battered for failing to cut its prices.
• Ronald Regan was good at interpreting…Bush was not.
The Publics of Public Relations
• There is no general public, it could be seen as publics relations or relations with the publics.
• Internally, managers must deal directly with various levels of subordinates as well as with cross-relationships that arise when subordinates interact with one another.
• Externally, managers must deal with a system that includes government regulatory agencies, labor unions, subcontractors, consumer groups, and many other independent but often related organizations.
• Internal publics- are inside the organization: supervisors, clerks, managers, stockholders, and the board of directors
• External publics- are those not directly connected with the organization: the press, government, educators,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 11). Mass Media and Society. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mass-Media-And-Society-839076.html
"Mass Media and Society" StudyMode.com. 11 2011. 11 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mass-Media-And-Society-839076.html>.
"Mass Media and Society." StudyMode.com. 11, 2011. Accessed 11, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mass-Media-And-Society-839076.html.