1. What does Winston believe is the most deadly danger of all? * Talking in his sleep.
2. What is the unforgivable crime?
- Promiscuity between party members
3. What is the only recognized purpose of marriage?
- To beget children for the service of the party
4. Why did Winston call Katharine the “human soundtrack”?
- Because there was not a thought in her head that was not a slogan
5. Why does Winston believe a real love affair would be almost unthinkable?
- Because all the women were alike and Chastity was deep engrained in them.
6. What percent of Oceania’s population is comprised of proles?
7. What does Winston copy into his diary?
- A very long passage on page 72
8. What is Winston’s proof that the confessions of Jones, Aaronson, and Rutherford were lies?
- The dates of their confessions and the date of the picture in the TIMES overlapped
9. What happened to Winston’s proof?
- It crumbled into ashes
10. To whom is Winston writing the diary?
1. Instead of spending a night at the Community Center, where does Winston go? * He heads into London
2. What does the Newspeak term “ownlife” imply?
- Individualism and eccentricity
3. After the bombing, what does Winston see lying in the street?
- Homes destroyed and body parts
4. What is the one public event to which the proles pay attention?
- The lottery
5. What does Winston learn from the old man in the bar?
- A lot about the times before the revolution.
6. What does Winston buy at Charrington’s shop?
7. What is different about the room above Charrington’s shop?
- The room was furnished like someone still lived there and was nearly empty
8. Why does Winston plan to return to the shop?
- He wanted to...