• Marketing information system (MIS) is a set of procedures and methods for the regular, planned collection, analysis and presentation of information for use in marketing decisions’
• Consists of people, equipment, and procedures to gather, sort, analyze, evaluate and distribute needed, timely, and accurate information to marketing decision makers.
• Function: Assess, Develop and Distribute Information.
Marketing Information System
Functions of a MIS:
Characteristics of MIS
➢ Management oriented
➢ Management directed
➢ Common data flows
➢ Heavy element
➢ Flexibility and ease of use
Benefits of MIS
• Customer profiles need to be maintained focusing on their habits and spending patterns. MIS helps in maintaining these profiles.
• Information on what competitors have been upto is also a critical marketing information. This should not be taken as espionage on competitors.
• Forecasts of demand are also a critical part of marketing analysis. MKIS helps in achieving this as well.
• Field sales can also be monitored where sales agents are used to market products.
• Customers can be quickly updated based on their information kept in MKIS.
• Dealers involved in sale of product can also be monitored to help enhance revenues
Importance of MIS:
What is Marketing Information?
• The data collected during the marketing research process
• Types of data
o Company and competitor records
o Customer profile data
▪ Buying behavior
▪ Shopping patterns
▪ Demographics and lifestyle research
▪ Government data
▪ Market research reports produced and sold by research firms
Why Marketing Information is needed
Used to identify marketing opportunities, solve marketing problems, implement... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 06). Marketing Information System. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Marketing-Information-System-724454.html
"Marketing Information System" StudyMode.com. 06 2011. 06 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Marketing-Information-System-724454.html>.
"Marketing Information System." StudyMode.com. 06, 2011. Accessed 06, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Marketing-Information-System-724454.html.