1 INTERNATIONAL MARKETING
Brigitta Rombolà, Marta Puppo and Nicolas Campiglia
Developing the company activities to the Italian market
1. KOUVOLAN LAKRITSI
2. KOUVOLAN LAKRITSI’S PRODUCT
3. SITUATION OF ITALIAN MARKET
4. COMPETITORS’ ANALISYS
5. OUR IDEAS
2 KOUVOLAN LAKRITSI
Kouvolan Lakristi is a Finnish company producing liquorice for over 60 years. The quality of the products is guaranteed by a combination of fresh products, traditional preparation processes and a fine-tune recipe, elaborated collaboratively with an English expert. This quality made the company be elected best liquorice in Finland in 1995.
Kouvolan Lakristi sells its products in Finland, but also exports a part of its production. The main export destination is Scandinavia, especially Denmark.
The company is profitable, with an annual turnover of two million Euros, but the company can keep growing.
We will try to improve its growth with a detailed strategy to launch our products on the Italian market. 3 KOUVOLAN LAKRITSI’S PRODUCTS
Kouvolan Lakristi's current range of products is quite developed, with four different references, having each their own different kinds of packaging.
• Indeed, starting with the classic sweet liquorice, we have bags of 200, 300 and 500 grams. The sweet liquorice has a unique taste developed with an English guy. We also have them packaged in a 500g special box, better for presents.
• The second kind of products is sweet liquorice in single packages. They have different shapes, such as rolls or pipes.
• The third product is the liquorice of old Viipuri in its 300g paper bag. It seems to be a high quality / Luxury product.
• The fourth product is flavoured liquorice, with only one flavour yet, chilli and salmiak.
The company also produces jelly sweets.
SITUATION OF ITALIAN MARKET
Liquorice is really well-known in Italy.
Indeed, the country is the first producer for it in Europe.
Liquorice is produced and sold there in three different forms:
• The first kind is the liquorice roots, sold without any transformation and used for their healthy properties.
• The second kind is pure blocks of liquorice, made directly from the roots without any added ingredient.
These two kinds of liquorice are really different from what our company produce, so we won't develop their characteristics.
• The last kind of product is the candy liquorice. It is sweet. Salted liquorice doesn't exist in Italy.
We can find some flavoured liquorice, with mint and anise as main flavours. For these products, we have three main kinds of package: o Firstly, plastic bags containing 100 to 150 grams of sweet liquorice bits. o Then, there is the small boxes, containing 30 grams of liquorice pellets (sometimes flavoured). o The last kind is the single packaging, with a sweet liquorice included in a plastic wrap.
In Italy there are two different qualities of liquorice:
• Low quality, cheaper, which can be bought in supermarkets and in tobacco shops; it is produced in various part of Italy • High quality, more expensive, which can be found in specific shops; it is made in Calabria.
On the Italian market there are 100 liquorice companies; the biggest are Amarelli, Nature Med, Romano radice di liquirizia, GR Market, and Perfetti Van Melle.
Each year in Italy are produced 25.000.000.000 kg of liquorice candy, made from 300.000 tons of roots; These roots are imported from China, Afghanistan, Turkey and Pakistan. Liquorice is also utilized to produce liquor and as flavouring for beers and tobaccos.
Italy exports liquorice in all the Europe and also in Usa, Canada and Australia.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document