1. Administration of business: the organizing and controlling of the affairs of a business or a sector of a business
2. Managers as group: managers and employers considered collectively, especially the directors and executives of a business or organization
3. Handling of something successfully: the act of handling or controlling something successfully "Crisis management"
4. Skill in handling or using something: the skillful handling or use of something such as resources
This definition stress on the following functions: organization, running, administration, supervision, managing, controlling.
However these functions required different levels of structures like: Directors, managers, executives, employers, board, bosses
This definition covers the whole function of management however it ignores to show the importance of human from inspiration side ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Definition of Management by functions:
Financial & Investment Dictionary:
Combined fields of policy and administration and the people who provide the decisions and supervision necessary to implement the owners' business objectives and achieve stability and growth. The administration of policies is carried out by the Chief Executive Officer, his or her immediate staff, and everybody else who possesses authority delegated by people with supervisory responsibility. Thus the size of management can range from one person in a small organization to multilayered management hierarchies in large, complex organizations. The top members of management, called senior management, report to the owners of a firm; in large corporations, the Chairman of the Board the President. The application of scientific principles to decision-making is called management science.
1. Collective administrative heads of a company, institution, business, etc., who are responsible for conducting the affairs of the company (institution, business, etc.) for meeting its short-range and long-range objectives, and for maintaining it as a profit-making organization and/or an ongoing enterprise. 2. Leading or supervising of an organization, business operation, or the like. 3. Wise use of means to accomplish a purpose.
The role of a manager is comprehensive and often very complex. Not everyone wants to be a manager, nor should everyone consider being a manager. A Definition of Management
Some would define management as an art, while others would define it as a science. Whether management is an art or a science isn't what is most important. Management is a process that is used to accomplish organizational goals; that is, a process that is used to achieve what an organization wants to achieve. An organization could be a business, a school, a city, a group of volunteers, or any governmental entity. Managers are the people to whom this management task is assigned, and it is generally thought that they achieve the desired goals through the key functions of (1) planning, (2) organizing, (3) directing, and (4) controlling. Some would include leading as a managing function, but for the purposes of this discussion, leading is included as a part of directing. Planning: Planning in any organization occurs in different ways and at all levels. The plant manager must be concerned with the overall operations of the plant, while the assembly-line manager or supervisor is only responsible for the line that he or she oversees. Planning could include setting organizational goals. This is usually done by higher-level managers in an organization. As a part of the planning process, the manager then develops strategies for achieving the goals of the organization. In order to implement the strategies, resources will be needed and must be acquired. The planners must also then determine the standards, or levels of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document