Managing the Training Process

Topics: Management, Strategic management, Quality management Pages: 47 (14959 words) Published: December 4, 2012
Journal of European Industrial Training
Emerald Article: Managing the Training Process: Putting the Basics into Practice Mike Wills

Article information:
To cite this document: Mike Wills, (1994),"Managing the Training Process: Putting the Basics into Practice", Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol. 18 Iss: 6 pp. 4 - 28 Permanent link to this document: Downloaded on: 14-11-2012 References: This document contains references to 1 other documents Citations: This document has been cited by 2 other documents To copy this document:

Access to this document was granted through an Emerald subscription provided by ADDIS ABABA UNIVERSITY For Authors: If you would like to write for this, or any other Emerald publication, then please use our Emerald for Authors service. Information about how to choose which publication to write for and submission guidelines are available for all. Please visit for more information. About Emerald With over forty years' experience, Emerald Group Publishing is a leading independent publisher of global research with impact in business, society, public policy and education. In total, Emerald publishes over 275 journals and more than 130 book series, as well as an extensive range of online products and services. Emerald is both COUNTER 3 and TRANSFER compliant. The organization is a partner of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and also works with Portico and the LOCKSS initiative for digital archive preservation. *Related content and download information correct at time of download.

A practical guide to managing the training process

training of their people very seriously. Of course this is not a simple cause-and-effect relationship. Good training does not guarantee spectacular results; otherwise we could simply sink vast amounts of money into training and immediately have highly profitable companies. It sounds too easy and it is too easy. The relationship between training and business results is very complex. This is because results are affected by many differing and varying influences. Economic influences are some of the most prevalent. For example, in 1973 many companies had a spectacularly successful year and managing directors congratulated themselves on how well they had managed their companies. What they had failed to realize was that VAT was introduced on 1 April 1973. The increase in revenue was due to the demand for equipment and services that would help cope with the introduction of the new tax. Identifying training’s contribution to a business would involve the training department in the immensely difficult task of filtering out the effects of all these other influences. Although it is doubtful whether this calculation could ever be done with any sort of accuracy, this situation is one in which training managers often find themselves – simply because they are asked to justify their current training curriculum. Another approach is to assess regularly the business needs. The skills required are then identified and a training plan is developed to eliminate the skills deficiencies. In this way training becomes an essential and integral part of the business strategy and plans. Even though training makes an essential contribution to the business, it should be remembered that training does not provide the complete solution for the development of a company’s employees. I estimate that putting people on to training courses probably accounts for about 10 per cent of their development, with experience accounting for the remaining 90 per cent. Sometimes people are surprised at how low this estimate is – especially coming from a training manager! However, I would maintain that this is a vital 10 per cent. Unless people have the skills, knowledge, and theoretical framework to make sense of what is going on around them, how can they make the right...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Describe The Basic Training Process Essay
  • Training and Development Essay
  • Managing a Training and Development Function Essay
  • training and development Essay
  • managing operations Research Paper
  • Essay on Process of Managing Organizations
  • Essay on A Framework for Managing the Innovation Process

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free