This section provides a glossary of some of the common poverty-related terminology found on this website. For descriptions of poverty relief organizations, see the Poverty Relief Organizations section. For biographies of men and women who have made an impact in fighting poverty, see the Biographies section.
• $1-a-day Poverty Line: The international poverty line for absolute poverty set by the World Bank in 1990, and adjusted for various purchasing power parities. People living at or below this level are said to be in extreme poverty.
• $14.40-a-day Poverty Line: The absolute poverty line sometimes used in industrialized nations instead of the $1/$2-a-day lines used by the World Bank. The line is set at $14.40 to adjust for different standards of living between industrialized and developing nations. However, many nations (such as the U.S.) set their own poverty lines as well.
• $2-a-day Poverty Line: The second international poverty line for poverty set by the World Bank, and adjusted for various purchasing power parities. People living at or below this level are said to be in poverty, though not to the extent of those living under $1 a day.
• Absolute Poverty Line: An absolute poverty defines poverty as the state of living under a certain, pre-determined amount of income or consumption. The most common absolute poverty line is the $1-a-day line.
• Bretton Woods Organization: An organization created as part of the negotiations held from July 1st to July 22nd, 1944 in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, at the United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference.
• Corruption: When talking about poverty, the term 'corruption' usually refers either to bribes taken by judges, policemen, or other local government officers in developing nations, or to large-scale, deliberate mismanagement of money higher up in the government. Both of these actions take a large economic toll on the poor.
• Cycle of... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 10). Managing the Professional Service Firms. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Managing-The-Professional-Service-Firms-806327.html
"Managing the Professional Service Firms" StudyMode.com. 10 2011. 10 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Managing-The-Professional-Service-Firms-806327.html>.
"Managing the Professional Service Firms." StudyMode.com. 10, 2011. Accessed 10, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Managing-The-Professional-Service-Firms-806327.html.