Answer Review questions 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 13, 16, 18, & 22 in your own words. First, write the questions, and then answer with proper explanation.
1. Define the term database. How is it different from a database management system? Database is simply a collection of data. A database helps and provides managers and decision making people with timely and relevant information that leads the company to organizational success. A database management system is totally different than regular database. A (DBMS) is a group of programs that manipulates the database.
2. What is the hierarchy of data in a database?
The hierarchy of data in a database is bits, records, files, database, fields, and characters.
3. What is the purpose of a primary key? How is it useful in controlling data redundancy? The purpose of a primary key is identifying records and make sure they can be accessed and organized. It makes sure that each record in a file is unique; therefore, no two files can have the same information.
4. What are the advantages of the database approach over the traditional approach to database management? Most companies use database approach more over the traditional approach because it allows them the ability to share data and information. It allows them to share a pool of data with multiple different types of information systems.
5. What is data modeling? What is its purpose? Briefly describe three commonly used data models. Data modeling is an approach to modeling organizational objects and associations that employ both text and graphics. To come up with a solution to a problem after the company has gathered and analyzed information. * Enterprise data modeling investigate data and information needs of the organization * Entity-relationship diagrams uses graphical symbols to show the organization of and relationship between data * Data model diagram of entities and their relationships
6. What is a database schema, and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document