Filename:| Management Information Systems|
Updated:| 2011-03-17 07:27:13|
Description: | The review questions for chapters 1-3|
1. An example of a business using information systems to attain competitive advantage is: A) JC Penny's information system that allows its contract manufacturers to see what garments have been sold and need to be replaced. B) Toyota's legendary TPS that has created superlative efficiencies and enabled Toyota to become the world's largest auto maker C) Verizon's Web-based digital dashboard providing real-time company information for managers. D) Apple's creation of the IPod.
C) Verizons Web-based digital dashboard providing real-time company information for managers.
2. 2) Which of the following choices may lead to competitive advantage (1) new products, services, and business models; (2) charging less for superior products; (3) responding to customers in real-time? A) 2 and 3
B) 1, 2, and 3
C) 1 only
D) 1 and 2
B) 1,2, and 3
3. 3) A major criterion in deciding the most important perspectives of a business problem is: A) change management.
C) organizational needs.
4. 4) Inadequate database capacity is an example of the ________ dimension of business problems. A) people
5. 5) The owners of Speed-EZ, a new bike messenger service, are concerned about how they will manage their messengers once they have left the office. This is a business problem that falls into the:
A) management dimension.
B) technology dimension.
C) people dimension.
D) organizational dimension.
C) People Dimension
6. 6) Aging hardware and outdated software are examples of the ________ dimension of business problems.
D) information systems.
7. 7) One of the most frequent errors in problem solving is: A) following a rote pattern of decision making.
B) not being aware of personal limitations.
C) rushing to judgment.
D) being too doubtful.
C) Rushing to judgment
8. 8) Which of the following statements is not true?
A) The fear that offshore outsourcing will reduce demand for new information system hires in the U.S. is mitigated by the fact that reduced IT expenditures results in increased IT investments and the creation of domestic jobs.
B) Inflation in Indian wages for technology work is leading to a counter movement of jobs back to the United States.
C) The most common and successful offshore outsourcing projects involve production programming and system maintenance programming work, along with call center work. D) The impact of domestic IT outsourcing has been very disruptive to some regional areas of the U.S.
D) The impact of domestic IT outsourcing has been very disruptive to some regional areas of the U.S.
9. 9) Branding products is a business function of:
A) finance and accounting.
C) human resources.
D) manufacturing and production.
10. 10) Output:
A) is feedback that has been processed to create meaningful information. B) is information that is returned to appropriate members of the organization to help them evaluate the input stage.
C) transfers processed information to the people who will use it or to the activities for which it will be used.
D) transfers raw data to the people who will use it or to the activities for which it will be used. C) Transfers processed information to the people who will use it or to the activities for which it will be used.
11. 11) Financial managers work directly with ________ to ensure investments in information systems help achieve corporate goals.
A) operations managers
B) accounting managers
C) senior managers
D) marketing managers
C) Senior Managers
12. 12) Verizon's implementation of a Web-based digital dashboard to provide...