Map of Majorca
Majorca in the Mediterranean
Majorca is the largest of the 4 main Balearic Islands, located in the Mediterranean Sea, off the east coast of Spain. It is a highly popular holiday destination in the world, especially to Western European countries. Majorca’s capital city is Palma de Mallorca.
Main Attractions for Tourists at Majorca
North Majorca –
* Serra de Tramuntana – large mountain range
* Cap de Formentor – Northernmost cap of Majorca
* Valldemossa – Famous village related to composer, Chopin * Port de Soller – Village, port
North Majorca is more scenic-tourism based compared to South Majorca, and features more natural attractions than artificial ones. Unlike South Majorca’s westernisation, North Majorca contains intact traditional culture. Much tourism in the north resides around beaches and the natural environment.
South Majorca –
* Cuevas de Drach – subterranean cave
* Es Trenc Beach – a beach.
South Majorca is generally more westernised, Americanised, and tourist abundant. Resorts are designed to be extravagant and luxurious. Attractions are mostly man-made venues, such as casinos, night clubs, cruises, brothels, etc. That is not to say South Majorca lacks natural attractions; its beaches and landscape are just less visited.
* Palma de Mallorca – Majorca’s capital city
* Santa Maria Cathedral – Massive Gothic cathedral in Palma * Binissalem – specifically its wine
* Prostitution – think what you will.
Advantages/Disadvantages of Tourism
* Improved economy and wealth, which leads to…
* Improved infrastructure, which in turn…
* Improves local living conditions
* Improves tourist conditions, welfare, accommodation, etc. * Rejuvenation/maintenance of historical and cultural interests * Sustainable tourism is emphasised and promoted
* Employment created
* Jobs and pay for locals...