Macbeth Act 2 Discussion Questions
Act 2, scene 1
1. What does Banquo give to Macbeth to give to Lady Macbeth? Who is it from? How do you think this makes Macbeth feel? Lines 15-20 How is this ironic? He gives him a diamond. It’s from the king. It makes him feel good.
2. What does Macbeth lie to Banquo about and why do you think he lies? 25-27 Dreaming about the weird sisters because he doesn’t want to draw suspicion on himself.
3. What does Macbeth think he sees? How does he interpret this symbol? What does this tell us about him? 33-61 A dagger pointed towards himself. He thinks this might mean that he could die soon. It tells us he’s unsure and feels strange about what he is about to do.
4. Where is Macbeth going at the end of this scene?
He is going to kill Duncan.
Act 2, scene 2
5. Before Macbeth returns from killing Duncan, what does Lady Macbeth fear? Lines 9-11 She fears they have been caught before killing Duncan.
6. Why doesn’t Lady Macbeth kill Duncan herself? Lines 12-13 She didn’t kill him because Duncan looked like her father.
7. How does Macbeth react to what he has done? What word couldn’t he say and how does he interpret this? He is filled with guilt and cannot sleep. He could not say amen.
8. How does Lady Macbeth try to reassure him? 44-46
She tells him not to think about what he had done.
9. What does Macbeth forget to do and why is this important? Line 62 He forgot to leave the daggers there so it would look like the servants did do it.
10. What does Lady Macbeth mean when she says “My hands are of your color but I shame to wear a heart so white.” What does this quote tell the audience about how she feels? How is this different than Macbeth? She is calling him a coward. She doesn’t fear they will be caught.
11. What does Macbeth want to do at the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document