Macadamia Nut poisoning in dogs
VET 123 Mrs. Owens
Macadamia nuts come from the Macadamia tree grown in the United States, mostly found in Hawaii. They are popular ingredients found in cookies and candies or on a table during a party. Every year, calls are made to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center about dogs eating different amounts of macadamia nuts. The findings from these fairly rare calls have close to the same outcomes and are remarkably consistent (Macadamia nut toxicosis in dogs, 2002). Macadamia nut toxicosis can last up to 48 hours and have symptoms that are very uncomfortable, though it is unlikely to be fatal in dogs. Dogs that have ingested macadamia nuts may look to be in pain, have weakness in the back legs, might acquire a low grade fever and tremors may start. This should all get better over a 48 hour period, but dogs experiencing more than mild symptoms should see a veterinarian, and care may include intravenous fluid therapy and pain control (ASPCA, n.d.). 48 calls about dogs eating macadamia nuts came into the ASPCA APPC between 1987 to 2001. Weakness, depression, vomiting, ataxia, tremors, and hyperthermia are the clinical signs that were most reported. In 94% of the cases in which dogs had consumed macadamia nuts from the periods of 1998 to 2001, reports show at least one of these signs. Wide ranges of dosage were reported over the time period. Based on ASPCA APCC data, weakness was reported after dogs ingested as little as 2.4 to as much as 62.4 g/kg. Vomiting was reported to occur after the ingestion of 7 to 62.4 g/kg. The mean amount of macadamia nuts ingested was estimated to be 11.7 g/kg (range 2.2 to 62.4 g/kg). The reported time from ingestion of nuts to development of clinical signs was less than 12 hours in 79% of the cases. These clinical signs...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document