Georgia Southern University
Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
PUBH 6134 – Health Services Administration
Georgia Southern WebCT Portal
This course examines the structure and functioning of the health care delivery system. Health care organizations including hospitals, long-term care, ambulatory care, managed care, private and public insurance, public health, integrated delivery systems, and other health care providers will be reviewed. The course also examines principles of strategic management applied to health care organizations amid a dynamic/changing environment. .
Required Textbook: Delivering Health Care in America, 3d Edition by Shi and Singh;
Publisher: Jones and Bartlett, ISBN Number 0763731994.
Additional articles, supplemental materials, and URLs/website addresses will be supplied by the instructor and students in the course.
Program Goals: At the completion of this program the student will be able to:
• Contribute to the public health profession through the practice of sound professional public health attitudes, values, concepts and ethics.
• Appreciate and facilitate diversity of thought, culture, gender and ethnicity through inter-professional communication and collaboration.
• Integrate and apply the crosscutting knowledge and competencies within five core public health areas of knowledge (biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health sciences, health services administration and social and behavioral sciences.
• Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills necessary for specialized roles within public health, in at least one of the five core areas of public health.
• Identify the main components and issues of the organization, financing and delivery of health services and public health systems in the United States.
• Describe the legal and ethical basis for public health and health services.
• Explain methods of ensuring community health safety and preparedness.
• Apply 'systems thinking' for resolving organizational problems.
Course Objectives: At the completion of this course the student will be able to:
• Define the major components of the health care delivery system and its administration amid the economic, social, technological, and political factors that influence them.
• Analyze trends in planning, resource allocation, and health services financing and their effects on consumers, providers, employers, government, and payers.
• Describe the professional, economic, social, technological, and legislative influences in health care.
• Discuss values and ethical dilemmas in health care that are inherent in efforts to control costs, while assuring access and quality of care.
• Apply a systematic model for analyzing health administration problems, issues, opportunities and threats. Overview of the Content to be Covered During the Semester:
|Week |Topic |Readings |Assignment | |1 |Chapter 1 |See Weekly Assignments that are attached|See Weekly Assignments that are | |Meet | |to this document and on the Web Course. |attached to this document and on the| |Aug. 15 | | |Web Course. | |2 |Chapter 2 |See Weekly Assignments that are attached|See Weekly Assignments that are | |Aug. 22 | |to this document and on the Web Course. |attached to this document and on the| | |...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document