Part 1: The foundations of Logistics
Chapter 1: Introduding Logistics
- Logistics is more than just Transportation
- Involves aspects like procurement (Beschaffung), sourcing, planning, storing, control and distribution (Verteilung/Austeilung)
- Shift towards placing production in Central Europe b/c production is cheaper
- Delivery: customer gets what he ordered, where he wants it and at the right time, not too early & not too late
- Completeness: orders should arrive as one delivery
- Accuracy: should deliver what you promised
- Billing: only want to pay for what you ordered
- Customer service: enough stock to satisfy the customer + service
- Flexibility: ability to produce anything on time and anything at any time
- Production in developing countries makes it possible to offer goods for the lowest price
- Good logistics will result in gaining customers, gaining trade and success for the business itself
- Automotive industry is one of the first industries to make good use of all new developments in the field of business studies
- Henry Ford discovered the power of a conveyor belt where everyone makes just a small part of the car and becomes a specialist in his own little world.
( Mistakes are easily recognized
( Work becomes routine and effective
( Saving time and time is money
- mass production became the norm
- later just-in-time management was taken up by the whole automotive industry which was started by the Japanese
Conflicting goals of logistics:
- efficient use of machinery
- low inventory
- many different varieties of products
- short delivery time e.g. within two hours
- Logistics should help each and everyone in the organization to achieve the overall goal of the company
- Value chain of Porter shows that we do not have “very important” and “less important” departments... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 04). Logistics Summary. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Logistics-Summary-312447.html
"Logistics Summary" StudyMode.com. 04 2010. 2010. 04 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Logistics-Summary-312447.html>.
- MLA 7
"Logistics Summary." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2010. Web. 04 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Logistics-Summary-312447.html>.
"Logistics Summary." StudyMode.com. 04, 2010. Accessed 04, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Logistics-Summary-312447.html.