To Kill a Mockingbird
Supplementary Materials (page l)
1. Chapter 1 introduces readers to the town of Maycomb, its appearance, its inhabitants, and
the partlcular attitudes of many of its people. Find a sentence or a paragraph which illustrates each of the following attitudes/ideas. Ouote at least a portion of the sentence or
paragraph and give the page number.
a. pride in ancestry and "tradition"
b. pride in conformity and distrust of those who are different
awareness of differences in social classes
2. Approximately when does the story begin? Show evidence to support your answer.
3. What do we know for certain about Boo Radley?
4. Why is Boo fascinating to the children?
Scout makes three mistakes during her flrst day at school. What are her mistakes, and
why do t hey make Miss Caroline so angry?
2. Why are the professional people ln Maycomb poor at this time?
3. What is the WPA, and why won't Mr. Cunningham work for it?
What do we learn about Calpurnia and Atticus when Scout criticizes Walter's manners?
2. Burris Ewell, Walter Cunningham, arrd Chuck Little are all from extremely poor families;
however, there are great differences both in appearance arld in attitude, particularly between
the Cunninghams ar]d the Ewells. What are those differences, and why do you suppose
3. Atticus talks to Scout about how people come to understand each other- What are some of
the things that Scout begins to realize at this point?
4. Why does Atticus say that the law is ngid for ordinary people, but it is bent in certain
ways for the Ewells?
5. What ls the compromise which Atticus suggests?
In what speciffc ways does Scout criticize the school she is attending?
2. Where do you suppose the gum and the pennies are coming from? What makes you think so?
3. What two reasons does Scout have for wanting to quit the Radley Game?
Chapter 5... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 09). llllllllllllll. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Llllllllllllll-39041971.html
"llllllllllllll" StudyMode.com. 09 2013. 2013. 09 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Llllllllllllll-39041971.html>.
- MLA 7
"llllllllllllll." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2013. Web. 09 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Llllllllllllll-39041971.html>.
"llllllllllllll." StudyMode.com. 09, 2013. Accessed 09, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Llllllllllllll-39041971.html.