PROJECT INTERIM REPORT
AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF THE GROWTH PROSPECTS AND PROFITABILITY OF FDI IN RETAIL SEGMENTS OF INDIA
Prof. Sapna Parashar
CONCEPTUAL ANALYSIS 3
Summary of Retail Market in India and FDI in Indian Retail 3
LITERATURE REVIEW 5
1. Literature Review-1 5
2. Literature Review-2 5
3. Literature Review-3 6
4. Literature Review-4 7
5. Literature Review-5 7
GAP ANALYSIS 8
Summary of Retail Market in India and FDI in Indian Retail
• India tops the AT Kearney's annual Global Retail Development Index (GRDI) for the third consecutive year, maintaining its position as the most attractive market for retail investment.
• The Indian retail market, which is the fifth largest retail destination globally, according to industry estimates is estimated to grow from the US$ 330 billion in 2007 to US$ 427 billion by 2010 and US$ 637 billion by 2015.
• Subsequently, organized retail is likely to increase its share in the total retail market to 22 per cent by 2010.
• India's vast middle class with its expanding purchasing power and its almost untapped retail industry are key attractions for global retail giants wanting to enter newer markets.
• With international brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Esprit and Puma (that have entered the country) growing well over 100 per cent, many others are also planning to foray into the Indian retail market.
• The Government allows 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in cash and carry through the automatic route and 51 per cent in single brand. Besides, the franchise route is available for big operators. To further attract global retailers, the economic survey 2007-08 has suggested a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 09). Literature Review-Fdi in Retail. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literature-Review-Fdi-Retail-162724.html
"Literature Review-Fdi in Retail" StudyMode.com. 09 2008. 09 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literature-Review-Fdi-Retail-162724.html>.
"Literature Review-Fdi in Retail." StudyMode.com. 09, 2008. Accessed 09, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literature-Review-Fdi-Retail-162724.html.