The major writing assignment for this week is to compose a paper of at least two pages in which you write interpretively from a psychoanalytical perspective about the assigned drama written on in W3: Assignment 2, not on The Awakening. You are to do this by applying a psychoanalytical critical perspective or lens to the story. Review the Week 3 PowerPoint located on page 1 of this week’s lecture, "Psychoanalytic Ways of Reading" to understand how to organize your paper.
Considering some of these critical questions will help you in your analysis:
· How do the literary elements in this drama, such as symbolism, irony, conflict, etc., help reveal the psychoanalytical motivations of the characters?
· As you view the characters, both those you see and hear and those who are only discussed, what in their motivations, relationships, actions, and speech causes you to have a greater understanding of their psychoanalytical states?
· In dramas, the playwright not only creates the characters and gives them speeches that help make them “real” for the audience, but he or she also relies on the audience to interpret the characters and respond to them based on how an actor portrays them. As you consider the characters, what experiences do they have that reflects the way the playwright wants you to interpret the character?
· Could you combine your knowledge of the psychoanalytical critical perspective with that of the feminist perspective discussed last week to further analyze the play, and/or its playwright, and/or the characters?
· Are there feelings or emotions that seem to be glossed over? Which motivations or desires might a character be suppressing and why? Do you sense a power struggle between any of the characters? Who holds the power and why?
· Is there any character who seems less than authentic? Please explore why you sense this about the character as sometimes, the reader (or viewer) is not privy... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). Literary Analysis Paper from a Psychoanalytical Perspective on Susan Glaspell Trifles. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literary-Analysis-Paper-From-a-Psychoanalytical-917019.html
"Literary Analysis Paper from a Psychoanalytical Perspective on Susan Glaspell Trifles" StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literary-Analysis-Paper-From-a-Psychoanalytical-917019.html>.
- MLA 7
"Literary Analysis Paper from a Psychoanalytical Perspective on Susan Glaspell Trifles." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2012. Web. 02 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literary-Analysis-Paper-From-a-Psychoanalytical-917019.html>.
"Literary Analysis Paper from a Psychoanalytical Perspective on Susan Glaspell Trifles." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Literary-Analysis-Paper-From-a-Psychoanalytical-917019.html.