The old Liptons, Galbraith, Templeton and Presto logos
In 1871, Lipton used his small savings to open his own shop, in Glasgow, Scotland and by the 1880s the business grew to more than 200 shops. In 1929, the Lipton grocery retail business was one of the companies that merged with Home and Colonial Stores to form a food group with over 3,000 stores. The group traded as Home and Colonial Stores until 1961 when it took the name of Allied Suppliers. Lipton's became a supermarket chain focused on small towns, before Allied's 1982 acquisition by Argyll Foods: The supermarket business was re-branded as Presto during the 1980s. Tea
Thomas Lipton began travelling the world for new items to stock in this store, one such items was tea, since sales had grown from £40 million pounds from late 1870s to £80 Million pounds by the mid-1880s. Lipton believed that the price was far too high so he started growing his own tea and selling them in packets by the pound, half pound, and quarter pound, with the advertising slogan: "Direct from the tea gardens to the teapot." Lipton teas were an immediate success in the United States. Thomas Lipton was knighted by Queen Victoria, who made him Sir Thomas Lipton in 1898 at the age of forty-eight. The Lipton tea business was acquired by consumer goods company Unilever in a number of separate transactions, starting with the purchase of the United States and Canadian Lipton business in 1938 and completed in 1972 when Unilever bought the remainder of the global Lipton business from Allied Suppliers. In 1991, Unilever created a first joint venture with PepsiCo, the Pepsi Lipton Partnership, for the marketing of ready to drink (bottled and canned) teas in North America. This was followed in 2003 by a second joint venture, Pepsi-Lipton International (PLI), covering many non-United States markets. PLI was expanded in September 2007 to include a number of large European markets. PepsiCo and Unilever each control 50%...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document