AIDS in South Africa
1. Why did I choose this topic?
I chose this topic because I find it quite interesting.
My lack of knowledge
I had only heard a little about how many people are infected with AIDS and HIV, and that it’s a problem that there isn’t a way to stop it, but I didn’t knew that much. So I decided it would be a great topic to investigate.
Feeling sorry and wanting to help through more focus on the topic
I feel very sorry for the country, because of the fact that many children and young people are infected with this disease – either by having the disease themselves or somebody in their family having the disease – and it really makes me think it is important to get more focus on AIDS and HIV in South Africa.
2. What is AIDS and HIV?
HIV → AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
- AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. AIDS is caused by a virus called HIV. When you get HIV your immune system breaks down and you get more sick from common infections, than you usually would. Furthermore will you develop a higher risk to catch something called opportunistic infections. Opportunistic infections are diseases you normally don’t catch at all, but because of your weak immune system, you are now more exposed to them.
How does one get AIDS?
You don't actually "get" AIDS. You might get infected with HIV, and later you might develop AIDS. You can get infected through blood, vaginal fluid, semen and breast milk of people infected with HIV. Most people get the HIV virus by:
• having sex with an infected person
• sharing a needle (shooting drugs) with someone who's infected
• being born when their mother is infected, or drinking the breast milk of an infected woman
No actual cure, but there are drugs that can slow it down
There is no cure against AIDS. When you have it, you stuck with it for a lifetime. But today we have some drugs, that can slow it down, so you can... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 05). Life in South Africa Before and After Apartheid 2. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Life-In-South-Africa-Before-And-701915.html
"Life in South Africa Before and After Apartheid 2" StudyMode.com. 05 2011. 2011. 05 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Life-In-South-Africa-Before-And-701915.html>.
- MLA 7
"Life in South Africa Before and After Apartheid 2." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 05 2011. Web. 05 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Life-In-South-Africa-Before-And-701915.html>.
"Life in South Africa Before and After Apartheid 2." StudyMode.com. 05, 2011. Accessed 05, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Life-In-South-Africa-Before-And-701915.html.