Persuasive Speaking Assignment - 20 points total
Explain wheather each statement below deals primarily with a question of fact, a question of value, or a question of policy. (10 piont) Question of fact - addresses a question about the truth or falsity of an assertion
-Who will win the National Championship this year?
- Does recycling paper really make a difference?
- Did the suspect in question commit the crime?
Question of policy - addresses a question about the worth, rightness, or morality of idea or action
- WNCCis the best college in Nebraska.
Question of policy - addresses a question about wether a specific course of action should or should not be taken
- Should WNCC prohibit smoking within 100 feet of all building entrances?
- How should the NFL change football rules to reduce brain injuries? 1. President Franklin D. Roosevelt knew in advance about the Japanese plan to attack Pearl Harbor and allowed it to happen. Question of fact
2. If Franklin D. Roosevelt knew in advance about the Japanese plan to attack Pearl Harbor, He was wrong in allowing it to happen. Question of policy
3. A federal law should be passed requiring the driver's seatbelt to be fastened in order for a car to operate. Question of policy
4. Using genetic profiles as screening devices for jobs in private business violates an employee's right to privacy. Question of fact
5. the use of genetic profile's in screening employees for private business should be banned by law. Question of policy
Identify the fallacy in each of the following statements. ( 10 poin) Fallacies:
-Hasty generaliztion -jumping to conclusions onthe basis of too little evidence
-False cause - assuming that event A caused event B simply because it occurred before event B
-Invalid Analogy - the cases being compared are not essentially alike
- Red Herring - intorduces an irrelevant issue to divert attention away from the subject under discussion
-Ad Hominem - attacks...