Chapter 14: Communicating in Groups
Define the characteristics of groups?
-A group is a gathering of people who interact with one another for a common purpose.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of working in a group?
-ADVANTAGES: Sharing a workload and pooling out resources, bouncing ideas off one another, and the enjoyment and motivation of working with other people.
-DISADVANTAGES: Not all group members take their responsibility seriously and end up making their group members work harder to make u their lack of it.
Define synergy, groupthink, and interdependence?
-Synergy: This occurs when the whole group is more successful than each member within it.
-Groupthink: When members of the group are more concerned with getting the task done rather than getting it done right.
-Interdependent: Everything that one member does will influence the entire group.
What are group norms and roles?
-NORMS: Starts off as an unstated rule, because they are not directly stated but are indirectly observed.
Task: Helps the group to accomplish its goal or purpose
* Initiator- helps group by proposing ideas
* Information seeker/giver- ideas from others/shares opinion * Organizer- keeps group on task; organize meeting/agenda * Clarifier- asks questions; everyone understands
* Elaborator- expands on ideas
* Evaluator- positively reflects/offers value judgments/suggestion
Relationship: Provides for the social needs of the group and serves to foster teamwork and collaboration. * Gatekeeper- keeps everyone in discussion, encourages participation, helps control flow of conversation * Harmonizer- settle conflicts, maintain peace
* Tension reliever- use humor to relieve tension
* Supporter- encourages positive feelings, consoles, counsels other members
Disruptive: Occurs when each individual group member puts their needs above the group...