Phone: (802) 770‐6223
What is LiDAR?
Light Detection and Ranging
• The dictionary title: a measuring system that detects and locates objects on the same principle as radar but uses light from a laser
• A method for quickly and accurately collecting ground information from an aerial platform using a laser and ground control.
• In the technical definition of the word, LiDAR is a survey but it cannot be used for a legal boundary survey.
How is LiDAR Data Collected?
What Data is Collected During a Flight?
• Bare Earth
• Transmission Lines and Towers
• Railway Beds
• Weather Conditions
What Were the Deliverables to VELCO?
• DTM – Digital Terrain Model
• Orthorectified Imagery
• AutoCAD Drawings
•Utility Lines and Poles
•Edge of Trees
• PLS‐CADD Terrain Model
PLS‐CADD (Power Line Systems ‐
Computer Aided Design and Drafting):
overhead power line design software
What Has VELCO Created With the Data?
• New Transmission Line Designs
• Permitting Drawings
• EPSC (Erosion Prevention and
Soil Containment) Plans
• Aesthetic Mitigation Plans
• Tree Planting
Issues Encountered With the Data?
• Ground Control
• Units Conversion
LiDAR Data Collected in October 2006
Cost for LiDAR?
• Aerial Laser Ground Profile – DTM: $743.75 /mile • Digital Imagery and Orthophotography – $743.75 /mile • AutoCAD Mapping – $637.50 /mile
• PLS‐CADD Format Files – $185.00 /mile
• Cost Per Mile: $2,310.00
• Miles Surveyed: 52.5
• Total Project Cost: $121,275.00...