You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
* The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk * Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly * When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference * Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Name: Amanda McGill-Hall
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
Unit 1 - Employment Contract
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
Pay and Pension
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
Health and Safety
Pay and Pension
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
External - Library and Trade Unions
Internal - Personnel Specialists and Line Manager
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
Representative bodies are there to provide support and advise on a number of issues like Pay and Pensions, Health and Safety and Redundancy, also they can help with discrimination and disciplinary.
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
When hiring staff they can not discriminate against gender, religion, disability, age and weight etc but with some jobs certain requirements are needed eg able to manage manual labour, over 18 to serve alcohol etc.
Working environment needs to be suitable for example if someone has a disability the working environment needs to be suitable to accommodate their disability eg wheelchair users department isn't on the ground floor - is there a lift or are they able to work on the ground floor.
The employee’s responsibility is to treat their work colleagues as individuals and not to stereotype or judge because of religion, disability, age and any other differences.
If anyone is discriminating towards them or others to report it to the relevant person (HR, Manager etc)
Unit 1 - Draeger Medical UK Handbook, section 4
Unit 1 - Medical Equality Opportunities Policy
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
It can add value to a business to have employees with different backgrounds as it makes the business diversity and more people wishing to apply for roles within the business if they have a good employee reputation.
That employee will be fairly treated regarding training and development and also have equal...