1. Michael realizes that Norio is hinting that he misses Roger. By mentioning him, he is signaling to Michael that Roger's absence is disturbing.
2. Michael’s strategy is to pressure Norio. He is under enormous time constraints and needs to get the deal signed and move on.
3. Michael feels that this meeting was a failure. He did not reach his objectives, and had difficulty reading the needs of his prospective client.
4. Michael is unsure of what Norio is indicating. He senses that perhaps the deal is off, but is puzzled by Norio's lack of directness.
5. Michael’s certain that his concern was accurate. There is definitely a communication problem in that Michael was not able to understand Norio's behavior or intent.
6. Michael keeps trying. Since he does not understand Norio's position, he continues to try and find the right tactic.
1. Norio is hinting that he misses Roger. By mentioning him, he is signaling to Michael that Roger's absence is disturbing.
2. Michael’s strategy is to find the problem. He senses that Norio is hesitant and is trying to find out why.
3. This meeting was a failure. Michael did not reach his objectives and had difficulty reading the needs of his prospective client.
4. Norio is indicating that there is competition for Michael. Other clients spent time with him and he is considering their clothing lines.
5. Michael’s concern is insulting. By proposing a communication problem, he is casting doubt on Norio's English speaking skills.
6. Michael should be gracious. He is clearly not going to get the deal signed and should do his best to open the door for future deals.
It appears that Michael did not read carefully the notes left behind by his coworker. Although he may have had international business experience, he missed some subtle hints given by Norio concerning his preferences. The National Cultural Values...