Topic: Equivalent Fractions
Grade Level: 5th Grade
Goal: To help the students to practice the lesson that was taught on equivalent fractions. Since the game “Go Fish” is all based on matches, it naturally works for matching equivalent fractions.
Objective: Students will become more familiar and comfortable working with equivalent fractions by matching two equivalents.
Standard 4.1.5 A. Number Sense:
* Use real-life experiences, physical materials, and technology to construct meanings for numbers (unless otherwise noted, all indicators for grade 5 pertain to these sets of numbers as well).
* Use whole numbers, and fractions to represent equivalent forms of the same number.
1. Put students in groups of no more than 4.
2. Teacher chooses a dealer for each group.
3. Dealer deals 5 cards to each student and puts the rest in a scattered pile in the middle of the group.
4. Students can put down any matches they have.
5. The student to the dealer's left asks the student of his/her choice, "Do you have a fraction equivalent to (for example) 1/2?"
6. If that student has a match, all group members need to check for accuracy. If not, the student "goes fishing." Again, if a match is found, all group members check for accuracy.
7. Continue play until the "pond" is depleted.
8. The student with the most matches is the winner.
Assessment: I will observe the groups in order to make sure that each child understands the topic and what needs to get done, make sure that all the students are on task, and be able to help the children out whenever necessary.
Extension: I can change my lesson plan for a higher grade by doing a lesson on Adding Fractions, Subtracting Fractions, Multiplying Fractions, and Dividing Fractions. For the lower grades I can do a lesson on what a fraction is. [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 07). Lesson Plan Math. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lesson-Plan-Math-354165.html
"Lesson Plan Math" StudyMode.com. 07 2010. 07 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lesson-Plan-Math-354165.html>.
"Lesson Plan Math." StudyMode.com. 07, 2010. Accessed 07, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lesson-Plan-Math-354165.html.