Assignment 1: Clinical Skill Teaching Plan
Aim of Assignment
The teaching plan will demonstrate the understanding of the learning theories, learning styles and the role of feedback in enhancing a student’s clinical skill development and learning experience while on clinical practice. The teaching plan will adhere to Edinburgh Napier University guidelines on academic writing and referencing, being completed within a word limit of 2000.
Using the online module content for learning outcome 1 and 2 combined with the input provided via the lectures and materials provided in tutorials 1 and 2, the candidate will detail how they would promote student learning within the clinical learning environment. Specifically within the work the teaching plan should have the following structure:
* An introduction, (approximately 100 words) that ‘sets the scene for the teaching plan ’ for the reader. This should identify your practice setting and outline the types and of students/ learners that are placed within your clinical area, together with the skills that they are expected to achieve at their level.
* A main section, (approximately 1800 words) which should be written in an academic style and use the E Skill teaching framework (Studdy et al, 1994). to describe the process adopted to :
i) Explain how you would utilise a student’s preferred learning style to assist them learn a new skill in practice.
ii) Explain how an understanding of learning theories can enhance students learning in the practice setting in demonstrating the safe delivery of a chosen skill .
Outline the role of feedback in promoting learning in practice
* A conclusion, (approximately 100 words) the function of which is to summarise the key points that you have raised within your skill teaching plan and to indicate the possible implications of these for future practice.
* A reference list: reference citation and listing should be carried out in the Harvard format detailed in: http://nulis.napier.ac.uk/
Studdy,S.J., Nicol, M,J. And Fox-Hiley, A (1994) Teaching and Learning Clinical skills, part 2: Development of a Teaching Model and Schedule of Skills Development Nurse Education Today 14 186-193
This teaching plan will be assessed using the Edinburgh Napier University School of Nursing Midwifery and Social Care structures details of which are attached.
Assessment 2: Case Study Critical Exploration
Aim of Assessment
Using the case study provided within which a student was assessed at the mid-term of a placement and found to be failing to meet their learning outcomes for the placement, an analysis will be undertaken, identifying where the student required assistance to meet their learning outcomes. Using the Gibbs (1998) reflective model the candidate will reflect on the scenario identifying strategies that can be adopted by the mentor/ preceptor can support the student and facilitate their achievement of their placement outcomes. In particular the assignment will:
i) Critically explore the teaching and learning strategies that could be employed in practice to assist the failing student to achieve their learning outcomes
ii) Describe how they would create/ maintain/ enhance the appropriate learning environment to enhance and support student learning
iii) Reflect on your own learning needs in relation to the identification and support of the failing student
The essay should have the following structure:
* An introduction, that ‘sets the scene for the essay’ for the reader. You should also identify your selected case study and provide a brief overview of the model of reflection including a brief discussion of the relevance of reflection in nursing practice. (approximately 100 words)
* A main section, (approximately 1800 words) which should be written in an academic style. Use of the first person is appropriate when writing...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document