ROLL NO - 24
* A leader may be defined as a person who establishes vision, sets goals, motivates people and obtains their commitment to achieve the go and realize the vision.
* Leadership inspires man’s vision to higher sights & builds his personality beyond its normal limitation.
* Leadership has been described as the “process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task.
* Alan Keith of Genentech states that, "Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen.”
* According to Ken "SKC" Ogbonnia, "effective leadership is the ability to successfully integrate and maximize available resources within the internal and external environment for the attainment of organizational or societal goals."
THEORIES OF LEADERSHIP
Trait theory tries to describe the types of behavior and personality tendencies associated with effective leadership. This is probably the first academic theory of leadership, and can be traced in Western writing back to Theophrastus, plutarach and the Greek and Roman historians. In modern times, Thomas Carlyle (1841) can be considered one of the forerunners of trait theory, seeking to identify the talents, skills and physical characteristics of men who rose to power.
Proponents of the trait approach usually list leadership qualities, assuming certain traits or characteristics will tend to lead to effective leadership. Shelley Kirkpatrick and Edwin A. Locke (1991) exemplify the trait theory. They argue that "key leader traits include: drive (a broad term which includes achievement, motivation, ambition, energy, tenacity, and initiative), leadership motivation (the desire to lead but not to seek power as an end in itself), honesty, integrity, self-confidence (which is associated with emotional stability), cognitive... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). Leadership Styles. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Styles-382586.html
"Leadership Styles" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Styles-382586.html>.
"Leadership Styles." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Styles-382586.html.