According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness,
- 1 in 3 college students suffers from depression
- Over 50% report having below average or poor mental health
- 30% point to school stress as the main cause of their mental health issues
According to the Center for Disease Control, the principal causes of mental illness in college students are lack of sleep, lack of exercise, an imbalanced diet, and stress.
Home-cooked Meals as a Hall
The Issue: Cafeterias make it too easy to overindulge, and time constraints make “on-the-go” meals more appealing, in spite of the fact that these meals aren’t healthy. According to the CDC, working towards a balanced diet is one of the most important steps for a sound mental health.
- 2 meals as a hall a semester
- Cook together in a communal kitchen space
- Promotes healthy eating as well as bonding within the hall.
The Green Initiative:
Countless studies have been conducted on the health benefits of plants and green spaces in living, work, and school environments. According to Psychology Today, studies have shown that plants in indoor spaces help lower blood pressure, improve reaction times, increase attentiveness, improve attendance (at work and school), raise productivity, lower anxiety, improve optimism, and improve memory and concentration. According to the University of Agriculture in Norway, indoor plants can reduce fatigue, coughs, sore throats, and other cold-related illnesses by more than 30 percent by increasing humidity levels and decreasing dust.
Cornell University was so convinced of the mental benefits of green space that they installed grass into libraries and science buildings around campus to help lower students’ stress levels.
* Install green spaces into UPenn residential buildings, libraries, and science buildings.
* Place low maintenance plants in classrooms and study areas.
* Write a formal... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Leadership Hall. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Hall-1419948.html
"Leadership Hall" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Hall-1419948.html>.
- MLA 7
"Leadership Hall." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Hall-1419948.html>.
"Leadership Hall." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Leadership-Hall-1419948.html.