ASSIGNMENT SUBMISSION AND ASSESSMENT
ENGLISH FOR ORAL COMMUNICATION
INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS
1. This assignment contains TWO (2) tasks that is set in the language of the printed module for the course. Answer ALL.
2.Answer in English.
3. Download the language version of the assignment template concerned from the MyVLE for preparation and submission of your assignment. Your assignment should be typed using 12 point Times New Roman font and 1.5 line spacing.
4.Your assignment should be between 2500 to 3000 words excluding references. The number of words should be shown at the end of your assignment. Do not copy the assignment question and instructions to your answer.
5. You must submit your assignment TO YOUR FACE-TO-FACE TUTOR. You are advised to keep a copy of your submitted assignment for personal reference.
6.Your assignment must be submitted between 15th – 17th March 2013 or Tutorial 4. Submission after 17th March 2013 or Tutorial 4 will NOT be accepted.
7. Your assignment should be prepared individually. You should not copy another person’s assignment. You should also not plagiarise another person’s work as your own.
This assignment accounts for 30% of the marks for the course mentioned and shall be assessed based on the Rubrics or Answer Scheme.
You would be informed of the assignment mark before the Final Semester Examination commences.
PLAGIARISM : MARKS DEDUCTION
Warning : The submitted assignment will automatically undergo a similarity check. If plagiarism is detected, marks would be deducted as follows:
• Assignments with 10 - 30 % overlap with others: 20% deduction from the total marks scored. • Assignments with 31 - 50 % overlap with others: 40% deduction from the total marks scored. • Assignments with more than 50% overlap with others: Zero mark would be given.
Public Speaking is the communicating of knowledge that is understandable. Through informative speeches, people are able to give others the benefit of their learning and expertise. For this assignment you are given two tasks:
(a) write an informative speech; and
(b) present your speech.
You are invited to give an informative speech to a group of people. Pick a topic that is interesting to you, that you think will interest your audience, OR you can pick any topic from given below.
1. “Eating Healthily With A Busy Lifestyle”.
2. “Laughter Therapy - An Effective Treatment”.
3. “Overcoming shyness”.
A. WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT (20 Marks)
1. You can write using the guidelines below:
Introduction: (Show relevance to the audience during this section)
• Attention-getter: story, actual or rhetorical question, quote, surprising fact or statistic, etc. • Thesis statement: the main point or idea of your speech • Preview of Main Points: Preview your upcoming main points
Be sure to transition smoothly from attn-getter, to thesis & preview of main points, to the body (Main Point 1). Continue to use transitions to move smoothly from one point to the next and on to the conclusion.
• Main Point 1.
- Supporting Ideas/Subtopic of Main Point 1(a) - Supporting Ideas/Subtopic of Main Point 1 (b) These are backed up by Supporting Material: definition, statistics, example, illustration/story, testimony, compare/contrast. Use vocal citations when appropriate.
• Main Point 2.
- Supporting Ideas/Subtopic of Main Point 2 (a) -...