9. List the five general purposes of the Railway Labor Act.
• To avoid any interruption to commerce or to the operation of any carrier engaged
• To forbid any limitation upon freedom of association among employees or any denial, as a condition of employment or otherwise, of the right of employees to join a labor organization.
• To provide for the complete independence of carriers and of employees in the matter of self-organization
• To provide for the prompt and orderly settlement of all disputes concerning rates of pay, rules, or working conditions
• To provide for the prompt and orderly settlement of all disputes growing out of grievances or out of the interpretation or application of agreements covering rates of pay, rules, or working conditions.
10. What does the Norris-LaGuardia Act enable?
• banned yellow-dog contracts, barred the federal courts from issuing injunctions against nonviolent labor disputes, and created a positive right of noninterference by employers against workers joining trade
11. Describe the National Labor Relations Board.
The NLRB is an independent agency of the government that conducts for labor union representation. It also investigates and remedies unfair labor practices. It is governed by a five person board and general counsel that is appointed by the government. The general counsel acts as a prosecutor and the board acts as an appellate judicial body from decisions of administrative law judges.
12. Explain the concept of "duty to bargain."
Mutual obligation of the management of a firm and the union representing its employees, to meet and discuss wages, working hours, conditions and terms of employment, and any specific grievance.
13. What are the responsibilities of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service?
To assist employers and unions in bargaining through mediation, particularly in situations where...