Lab # 2 Title: Silent Suppression – Cont.
Start OPNET IT Guru
Open the scenario
1. Select File/Open.
2. Select Project.
3. Open your f: drive. (Note: If you don’t see drive F: listed, you click on “My Computer or “Computer” first.) 4. Open your op_models directory.
5. Open your NETW 320 directory.
6. Open the Lab1_Silent.project folder.
7. Click on Lab1_Silent.prj.
8. Click OK. The project should open.
9. Choose Scenarios > Switch to Scenario > Silent_Suppression.
1. We are now ready to look at the results. From the tool bar, select DES > Results > View Results. 2. The Results Browser will appear. You may have to expand the items in the top left panel and click on them to get Global Statistics to appear in the bottom left panel.
3. Expand Global Statistics and select the following (4) statistics:
DB Query Response Time (sec)
HTTP Page Response Time (sec)
E-mail Download Response Time (sec)
VoicePacket End-to-End Delay (sec)
4. You can adjust the size of the panels as you wish by hovering the cursor over the panel border until it changes to the adjust line cursor, and then hold the left mouse button to set the panel size.
5. Change the view from As Is to Time Average using the dropdown menu on the lower right-hand side. Remember, your results may not be exactly the same but they should be very similar.
6. Click Show. A graph similar to the following should appear.
7. The values for your graph many differ slightly, but overall they should be about the same as those pictured. If not, you must check your configurations before continuing, because we are going to duplicate this scenario and if you have errors in the current configurations, they will be copied over to the duplicate simulation. Close out the graphs by clicking the X in the top right-hand side of the window. This panel should appear.
8. Just click the Delete button. We can always look at the graph again later if we choose to do so. Then close out the Results Browser.
Duplicating the scenarios
1. We now want to duplicate the scenario. In the second scenario, we are going to generate the same amount of data and VoIP traffic, but we will configure the VoIP traffic to use silent suppression. 2. Choose Scenarios > Duplicate Scenario.
3. An option menu will appear. Select the second option, Duplicate Scenario. A new screen will appear. The new screen will automatically assign the name of 1 after the present scenario name. Change it to something what is shown here.
4. Click OK. The scenario will duplicate into the new one with the new name in the top banner. Left-click on the Application Config node, and then right-click on it and select Edit Attributes.
5. Expand Application Definitions->Voice Traffic> Description.
6. Change the Voice Traffic configuration from IP Telephony to IP Telephony and Silence Suppressed.
7. Click OK to close the Application Configuration window. Go to File -> Save, to save the settings for your second scenario. 8. We are now ready to run our second simulation. Select Scenarios > Manage Scenarios. 9. We only need to run the second scenario since we ran the first scenario to test it. We have not changed any of the configurations in the first one. In the Results box next to the new scenario, change uncollected to <collect>.
10. Click OK. The second scenario will now run. It should take about three minutes or so to run. When it is finished running, close out the Simulation Sequence window. 11. We will now look at some of the results. From the tool bar, select DES >Results > View Results. In the Results Browser, note the small selector at the top of the left panels. Change Current Scenario to Current Project. You can now see the results from both scenarios in...