_______________BIOL 3503 Ecología
Communities and Biomes
1. List the fish and invertebrates you selected after the nitrogen cycling process.
I personally selected a maroon clownfish with two anemones. I also chose 5 sergeant majors, 2 bleenies and a yellow tang.
2. What changes did you make to your reef tank during the 12 weeks and why did you make them?
After I selected my fish, I noticed that the tank began to grow algae. The next time I selected fish and invertebrates, I chose to add cleaner shrimp and snails to my tank. The pH then started to go up, then down, and then up again so I added pH buffer solution so the pH could stabilize at 8.1. After that, I decided to add water to keep the specific gravity from getting too high and maintaining stable.
3. What problems, if any, did you have with any of the fish or invertebrates in the reef tank?
My main problem was that the anemone died because the specific gravity got too high. After that incident, I began to add water regularly to prevent an accident from reoccurring.
4. Describe the final population of the reef tank.
My final population contained 7 sergeants, 3 damsels, 2 bleenies, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 clownfish, 1 yellow tang, 1 anemone, 1 flame angelfish and a few snails.
5. Compare the initial and final populations. What changes did you make to make to keep the fish and invertebrates alive?
The only organism that I lost was the anemone and it was due to me neglecting the water level. All of the other fish in both batches survived.
6. Study the data you collected. Describe the occurrences of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in your tank.
I cycled the tank during weeks 3 to 7. First, there was ammonia, then nitrite, and then nitrate. Currently, the ammonia and nitrite levels of my tank are 0.
7. Study the data you collected. Why is the population...