* can states protect human rights when facing a terrorist threat- NO, because by doing so they become more exposed to terrorist attacks.
* Effective counter-terrorism: curtailment of physical rights (Bush and Obama).
* Extraordinary rendition
* Physically abusive interrogation practices
* Unchecked surveillance and wiretapping
* Recent findings suggest otherwise.
Types of Physical Integrity abuse and terrorism
* Four elements of physical integrity rights:
* Torture, political imprisonment w/o due process, disappearances, and extrajudicial killings by gov’t officials.
* Goal: investigate how the use of high-quality data can produce results about counterterrorism policies.
* Measured four negative regression models for 142 countries from 1981 to 2004.
* 2 dependent variables: incidents of borth domestic and international terrorist attacks occurring as reported by the Global Terrorism Database and incidents of international attacks.
* Independent variables: measurements obtained from the human rights database.
* In two of the models: governments that refrain from imprisoning citizens for political reasons experience less domestic and international terrorism.
Discussion: Problems and Strategies:
* Findings suggest that restricting human rights actually fuels terrorism.
* Main issues concerning the quality and format of the data:
* ITERATE: only includes transnational terrorist attacks where victims and targets are of different nationalities. (most terrorist attacks include victims of the same nationality).
* Political Terror Scale and the Cingranelli-Richards data use annual reports from amnesty and the state department to code abuses on ordinal scales.
* The use of this may mask substantial differences across country-years.
* Ex: 3-value ordinal scale for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 11). Kljkj. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Kljkj-472429.html
"Kljkj" StudyMode.com. 11 2010. 2010. 11 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Kljkj-472429.html>.
- MLA 7
"Kljkj." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2010. Web. 11 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Kljkj-472429.html>.
"Kljkj." StudyMode.com. 11, 2010. Accessed 11, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Kljkj-472429.html.