DUE in class: Tuesday, April 26th
Write a five paragraph formal literary essay on a topic of your choosing to appropriately address The Kite Runner.
• an essay centers around a strong thesis statement (an opinion regarding a specific topic and at least three main developmental points to support your claim) – if you do not make an argument and you relay unoriginal information that I am aware of by simply reading the text, your essay will receive a grade no higher than a “C” • use appropriate tone/word choice in your essay
• no first or second person
• no contractions
• no repetitive words/phrases/ideas
• use proper MLA format
• include a Works Cited
• you must use quotes from the text in each body paragraph • staple all prewriting and rubric to the back of your final essay in class • see rubric for additional details
1. What role does religion play in the lives of Baba, Amir, and Assef, and in the novel as a whole?
2. How does the author, Khaled Hosseini, use irony in the novel?
3. How do Amir and Hassan represent the divisions in Afghan society, and how do these divisions affect the courses their lives take?
4. How does the author use time as a narrative device in the novel?
5. How do the political events that occur in Afghanistan shape the lives of Amir, Hassan, and Assef?
6. In what ways does Amir seek redemption and why?
7. How do the relationships between fathers and sons affect the events of the novel?
**Rubric: If you include all of the items below you should have a solid essay!
Hook (Catch the...