Marketing Plan Assignment (Notes)
1. Description of the organization (1/2 to 1pg)
* Opened its first store in 1987 by its founders John Pawson and Jan Cameron. * Became a virtually integrated retailer (95% completely Kathmandu’s own products) in 2002. They have their own in house team of designers, have access to lower cost products and have a company retail distribution network. * In 2006 they acquired a group of financial backers (private equity funds, which also led to a new management team. * In 2008 online and mail orders was set up and is still operating today. * The company minimizes environmental footprint, engage in community initiatives e.g Red Cross, Outward Bound NZ etc. * It is a transnational chain of retail stores in Australia, NZ and the UK, selling outdoor clothing and equipment.
2. Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
* Business platform growth including staff, IT infrastructure and distribution capacity. (in 2012 website was refreshed, stores increased from 46 (2006) to over 120 stores (July 2012).
* The distribution centre was re-located to Christchurch (location versus earthquakes?) (www.stuff.co.nz). Centre was build to earthquake standards but nevertheless a real risky factor. www.stuff.co.nz/the.../Kathmandu-officially-opens-new-Chch-centre * The shift in the weather i.e the winter is slow in coming hence sales for winter clothing may drop. www.climatechange.govt.nz/ (www.climatechange.govt.nz/physical-impacts-and-adaptation/) (Retrieved 19 March 2013) * Complaints (staff?)
* Bigger orders, increase in stores, new products, more online shopping with the company continuing to improve IT infrastructure. * Hence more sales and profits.
* Movements in foreign reserves
* Increase in interest liabilities (refer increase from 2011 to 2012 of $46,480,000 to $53,737,000)...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document