The History of Boys Town School
(Valeriano E. Fugoso Memorial School)
The World War II in 1945 left the City of Manila in great ruins and in the grip of dire poverty. Orphaned and abandoned children roamed the streets of the thickly populated city. In order to provide a temporary home for them, Boys Town Home was established on June 6, 1947 as their first home which was at the Old Bilibid Compound situated at the back of Central Market in Zurbaran. This was upon the recommendation of Col. E P Holland, former Chief of Police of Manila, and Mayor Valeriano E. Fugoso on December 16, 1946. At the Old Bilibid Compound, these streetboys enjoyed a wholesome program of activities which offered primary education with emphasis on vocational skills in handicraft, woodworking, electricity and machii4e shop operation to prepare the boys with ages ranging from 7 to 16 how to face life outside the Home. Thus it became the haven for displaced, underprivileged and homeless kids. The first batch of boys wards in 1947 were more than 50. Still in 1948, with its second batch, no grade IV was available yet, so they attended school at Pedro Gomez Elementary School (located at the right side of Central Market). In 1949, they were moved to a bigger, wider and better housing in Marikina in order to accommodate its growing population. The boys took their grade V at BayanBayanan Elementary School in Marikina. The following year, grade VI up to high school were made available to Boys Town. Six boys were its first high school graduates in 1954. The following year, 19 boys graduated. Graduating also meant that their stay in Boys Town was also terminated, for they were released after graduation. In July 1949, Boys Town Home was changed to Manila Boys Town when it was moved to a 23-hectare lot in Parang, Marikina which is now known as the Boys Town Complex. The Manila Boys Home was found to be too small to accommodate the increasing population which reached 150 that year. In this...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document