* Josh McDowell is a Christian apologist, evangelist, and writer. He is within the Evangelical tradition of Protestant Christianity. * Born August 17, 1939 in Union City, Michigan with the given name Joslin, now he obviously goes by Josh and lives in California. * He was 1 of 5 kids born to Wilmot McDowell.
* Struggled with low self-esteem as a result of an alcoholic and abusive father. * After being sexually abused by a hired farm hand from the ages of 6 to 13, he enlisted in the Air National Guard. * He was discharged after a head injury and then turned towards his college education plans
* He says he was an agnostic in his adolescent years and into college. * Began school at Kellogg Community College in Michigan intending to study law and start a career in the political field. * There at college as an agnostic, he chose to write a paper on the historical evidence of Christianity in order to disprove the religion. Within that research he discovered evidence that made him a believer. Read quote 1 and 2. * He then decided to change his future plans from the study of law.
* After his change in faith he enrolled at Wheaton College to get his bachelor’s degree. * Then he continued study at Talbot Theological Seminary of Biola University in CA. * He wrote an exit paper examining the theology of Jehovah’s witnesses and got his Masters of Divinity and graduated with Magma Cum Laude status.
* 1964- He began working for Campus Crusaders for Christ International, which is a ministry group in colleges and universities. He first began his full-time ministry with Campus Crusade after being appointed as a speaker in Latin America. * 1972- He became the famous Christian apologist he is today with the publication of Evidence that Demands a Verdict. * 1982-McDowell was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree by Simon Greenleaf School of Law for his ministry and writing. * 1991- Josh took his other ministry, Operation Carelift, to the Soviet Union. Operation Carelift is an international humanitarian aid ministry that is run by the Global Aid Network in Dallas, Texas which is a branch of Campus Crusade for Christ. * McDowell is best known for his many seminars, debates and books. In his role as a popular apologist, McDowell has spoken across the United States, and in many other nations including the Republic of South Africa and Australia. Slide 6:
* Since 1960, Josh has written or co-authored 138 books including: * More Than a Carpenter — 15 million copies in 85 languages. * New Evidence That Demands a Verdict — named one the twentieth century’s top 40 books and one of the thirteen most influential books of the last 50 years on Christian thought by World Magazine. * I did my research from the book, New Evidence That Demands a Verdict. This book is separated into four parts and I focused on Part 1: The Case for the Bible.
* In New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Josh McDowell expresses his reasoning for the truth in Christianity through his use of evidence. * In Part 1 of his book, he uses archeological evidence and the ancient manuscripts of the now biblical texts, the fulfillment of the prophecies from the biblical texts, and the miraculous resurrection to prove the truth of Christianity.
* Josh uses the Dead Sea Scrolls as his main archeological evidence. He says the dates of the Dead Sea Scrolls make their reliability greater. * The discovery of the manuscript of Isaiah dates back to 125 B.C.. Josh says the significance of this discovery relates the Isaiah scroll from 125 B.C. to the Masoretic Text of Isaiah one thousand years later. That proves the unusual accuracy of copies of scriptures over many years. * He agrees that even copies from the Qumran community and our standard Hebrew Bible are similar up to 95 percent, the other 5...