Ethinic Studies 220
Critical Reading Assignment #2 Chapters 3 and 4. Deadline: September 28, 2010
1. What are some of the pros and cons of Affirmative Action?
2. How does race and social class factor into educational opportunities for Asian Americans?
3. Are Asian Americans fighting back? What is Henry Der’s position on this subject? What are other ways in which Asian Americans can fight back? Provide an example.
4. How do language rights, accent discrimination and English Only rules impact Asian Americans in the workplace? Why is it important?
1) The pros of Affirmative Action are it will help lower classes to get job, and raises. They minorities will be given better opportunities and equal rights. The cons are chaos and riot may come into the community, but definitely racial comments are going to be said against Asian Americans.
2) Race and social class factor into educational opportunities for Asian Americans because Asians have the will to become successful and proven to work harder in school such as spending extra time on homework and studying. They take full dedication in school. There was also an article about Asian Americans that are being redlined on their college applications in Boston.
3) Yes, Asian Americans are fighting back, through many discrimination and racism Asian American has to demonstrate and work harder to get better job opportunities. Henry Der believes that Asian Americans has to gather themselves and not let their concerns get in the way and educate employers about unrecognized biases against Asian Americans. An example would be in the 2010 World Series Of Poker; big players like Scotty Nguyen, Jerry Yang, and Cuong “Soi” Nguyen all only have minor sponsors. Jerry Yang winner of WSOP 2007 said,” I’d like to know why Asian players don’t get the big sponsorship deals? I would like to know”. Chris Moneymaker sparked a boom in America but Jerry did not. I guess it’s tough... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). Jnmn. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jnmn-560187.html
"Jnmn" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jnmn-560187.html>.
- MLA 7
"Jnmn." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2011. Web. 01 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jnmn-560187.html>.
"Jnmn." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jnmn-560187.html.