Jetblue Airways Ipo Valuation

Topics: Bank, Fractional-reserve banking, Central bank Pages: 4 (1412 words) Published: February 16, 2013
Problems Identified By The Narasimham Committee
1. Directed Investment Programme : The committee objected to the system of maintaining high liquid assets by commercial banks in the form of cash, gold and unencumbered government securities. It is also known as the statutory liquidity Ratio (SLR). In those days, in India, the SLR was as high as 38.5 percent. According to the M. Narasimham's Committee it was one of the reasons for the poor profitability of banks. Similarly, the Cash Reserve Ratio- (CRR) was as high as 15 percent. Taken together, banks needed to maintain 53.5 percent of their resources idle with the RBI. 2. Directed Credit Programme : Since nationalization the government has encouraged the lending to agriculture and small-scale industries at a confessional rate of interest. It is known as the directed credit programme. The committee opined that these sectors have matured and thus do not need such financial support. This directed credit programme was successful from the government's point of view but it affected commercial banks in a bad manner. Basically it deteriorated the quality of loan, resulted in a shift from the security oriented loan to purpose oriented. Banks were given a huge target of priority sector lending, etc. ultimately leading to profit erosion of banks. 3. Interest Rate Structure : The committee found that the interest rate structure and rate of interest in India are highly regulated and controlled by the government. They also found that government used bank funds at a cheap rate under the SLR. At the same time the government advocated the philosophy of subsidized lending to certain sectors. The committee felt that there was no need for interest subsidy. It made banks handicapped in terms of building main strength and expanding credit supply. 4. Additional Suggestions : Committee also suggested that the determination of interest rate should be on grounds of market forces. It further suggested minimizing the slabs of...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Jetblue Airways Ipo Valuation Essay
  • JetBlue Airway IPO Valuation Essay
  • JetBlue airways IPO valuation Research Paper
  • Jetblue Airways Ipo Valuation Essay
  • Jetblue Ipo Essay
  • Essay on Jetblue Airways
  • Jetblue Airways Essay
  • Jetblue Airways Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free