General Purpose: To persuade
Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that accepting The Nonviolent Offender Rehabilitation Act is the best method to stop prison overcrowding.
Main Idea: The Nonviolent Offender Rehabilitation Act, also known as NORA, will solve the prison overcrowding problem that is primarily caused by mandatory sentences for nonviolent criminals.
A. As you can see from this video:
B. The Nonviolent Offender Rehabilitation Act, also known as NORA, will solve the prison-overcrowding problem that is primarily caused by mandatory sentences for nonviolent criminals.
C. I am going to explain how NORA will put an end to prison overcrowding by:
1. Reiterating the problems associated with prison overcrowding
2. Illustrating the primary cause of prison overcrowding
3. Describing the benefits that will result from accepting proposition 5.
A. Prison overcrowding creates inadequate healthcare for inmates, threatens the safety of Americans, and inhibits the rehabilitation of convicts.
1. Due to the increasing number of prisoners in American jails, we do not have sufficient facilities or funding to provide the necessary health accommodations. The Vera Institute, for example, is a nonprofit organization that works with government to improve various injustices. According to their research, “the wait for [medical] treatment often outlasts a prisoner’s sentence” (Gibbons 93). Not only does overcrowding threaten the health of inmates, it also jeopardizes public safety.
2. After finding out that California prisons were running at double their capacities, federal judges ordered that the state reduce its prisoners by about 40,000 (Liptak). Considering majority of the drug related sentences are mandatory, they may have to release prisoners who committed crimes such as armed robbery,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 04). Jail Overcrowding. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jail-Overcrowding-319549.html
"Jail Overcrowding" StudyMode.com. 04 2010. 2010. 04 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jail-Overcrowding-319549.html>.
- MLA 7
"Jail Overcrowding." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2010. Web. 04 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jail-Overcrowding-319549.html>.
"Jail Overcrowding." StudyMode.com. 04, 2010. Accessed 04, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Jail-Overcrowding-319549.html.