Study Guide for Week 3 Quiz
Scope of the exam: Covers Terminal Course Objectives (TCOs) A and B presented during weeks 1 and 2. The chapters covered are as follows:
• Week 1: Chapters 1 and 2
• Week 2: Chapters 3, 10, and 12
Exam Components: The Week 3 quiz is worth 100 points (10% of the grade). The multiple choice and essay questions probe your understanding of the facts and knowledge of the information presented online and in class. The quiz will also require you to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate course content to answer the essay questions.
There will be a total of 6 multiple choice questions for a total of 30 points (each question worth 5 points). The remaining portion of the exam is composed of 2 essay questions worth 70 points with each essay question worth 35 points.
Length of Quiz: 1.5 hours
Allow yourselves about 30 minutes per essay question and 5 minutes per multiple choice question.
Remember to save often. You can also enter and save your answers in Microsoft Word or some other Word processor and then copy and paste your answers over to the exam questions prior to submittal.
Materials for study:
Review the PowerPoint slides that I provided in the Doc Share folders and notes taken in class.
Review the Homework questions.
Review discussion questions
4. The chapters from the book.
5. Use the index and glossary to the extent possible to locate information quickly
Key topics, but not limited to:
• Business firms invest heavily in information systems to achieve strategic business objectives.
• Types of MIS systems and how they are used and how are they inter-related
• Improved decision making by using various decision support systems
• Various types of decision support systems
• What are the types of decisions
• Components of an information system
• How Information systems relate to organizations, technology and management
• How information systems relate to various levels of the firm (i.e. senior management, middle and operational management)
• Return of Investment (ROI) of MIS
• What are the major functional areas of business (i.e., Human resources)
• Enterprise Applications (4)
• Understanding differences of data, information and knowledge
• Differences between E-Commerce type of systems (B2B, B2C, C2C)
• Features of E-Commerce
• Understanding of how business is conducted on the Internet, (how things are sold, who are the players and providers and how are payments made)
• Transactional costs and agency theories
• Understanding Porter’s Competitive Forces Model and its relationships to MIS
• Value Chain Model for a business
• Forces/factors that constrain the organization from benefiting from the use of MIS
Strategy: You need to be able to apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate Management Information Systems (MIS) concepts and principals to be successful on the exam. On the essay portions of the exam you need to think and act like a Chief Information Officer (CIO) who understands the importance of applying MIS to solve business problems or how the business can leverage MIS to take advantage of business opportunities You must understand and integrate the technical, management, organizational, and business aspects of applying MIS in your answer. On the essay questions, the who, what, when , where, why (5y’s) and how are key in applying complete answers to essays. Your answers to the discussion questions should contain relevant and detailed answers.
Note: Not all the 5 y’s or how may apply, but use it as a check list as you answer the question.
• On the essay questions, your answers should be succinct, fully address each part of the question, and demonstrate your knowledge and understanding in a concise but complete answer. Most essay questions require answers that are multiple...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document