Is Ritalin Over Prescribed?
Critical Issue Analysis
After reading the selected critical issue, use the following questions to analyze the issue.
1. What are at least two facts presented by each side of the critical issue?
- There were more than a dozen reports of cardiac arrest or heart failure between 1985 and 1997 due to Ritalin use.
- In one study, Ritalin use reduced the expected monthly weight gain by 25%.
- Stimulants have proven to be effective in improving behavior, school work and social adjustment from 50% to 95%.
- For 30% to 45% of children with ADHD, the use of stimulants will improve their behavior but not be normalized.
2. What are at least two opinions presented by each side of the critical issue?
- Children taking stimulants frequently become very depressed or suicidal.
- Stimulants can cause a variety of mental abnormalities.
- It is a myth that the use of stimulants stunts a child’s growth.
- There is no research to prove that children taking stimulants are at more of risk for abusing other drugs during their teenage years.
3. What are some of the strengths associated with the Pro side of the issue? What are some of the weaknesses?
- The Pro side has a large amount of scientific data and several studies to help support their argument for the negative side effects of stimulant use. The Pro side is very convincing using the many data tables to depict the harm that stimulants can cause to children. They use several different sources to support their argument.
- The Pro side does not explore the other side of the argument whatsoever. While they have a substantive amount of data, it is not compared to the number of children who experienced no negative side effects while using stimulants. This would have caused their percentages and numbers to be much smaller.
4. What are some of the strengths associated with the Con side of the issue? What are some... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). Is Ritalin Overperscribed. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Ritalin-Overperscribed-549551.html
"Is Ritalin Overperscribed" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Ritalin-Overperscribed-549551.html>.
"Is Ritalin Overperscribed." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Is-Ritalin-Overperscribed-549551.html.